question

david-sanchez-pachon avatar image
david-sanchez-pachon asked

Charging and equalising Victron AGM deep cycle batteries

Hello,

I recently installed 2x110Ah victron AGM deep cycle batteries. Since my last battery bank (AGM but not victron) lasted no more than 2 years I want to be sure I make everything right with this one's

Charging parameters (285w solar panels) right now are

Absorption: 14,1v - 1hour

Float: 13,5v

I will like to know if this are ok and also if I would need to equalize them or not. I see very different information depending on battery manufacturer.

My solar chsrger let me program equalization schedule (every 30 days default), voltage and time

Thank you very much in advance

David

battery chargingAGM Batteryequalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ยท

Hi @David Sanchez Pachon,

I have 4x110Ah Victron Deep Cycle AGM in parallel configuration. Now into the 4th year of operation. They are still behaving like brand new. But never really overwhelmed the battery with too much load and ensure that they are topped up almost every day.

My settings for different charge sources (MultiPlus, Solar, Alternator to Battery Charger):
Absorption Voltage 14.40V for a maximum of 4 hours (adaptive charging)
Float Voltage 13.80V
Storage Voltage 13.2V
No equalisation. Also please notice that Victron does not recommend equalisation for AGM deep cycle batteries.

Hope that helps.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

david-sanchez-pachon avatar image david-sanchez-pachon commented ยท

Mmmm is not better to have a lower float? I always understood that, one's the battery is (almost) fully charged, you'd rather want to put in low amperage at a not so high voltage

0 Likes 0 ยท
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) โ™ฆโ™ฆ david-sanchez-pachon commented ยท

It depends. If your batteries just sitting there, doing nothing, then of course it's a good thing to either keep float voltage low or, if available by your charging source, use the storage mode (will kick in after 24h of float with no usage) instead.

0 Likes 0 ยท
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ยท

If this is in cycle use the absorption voltage is way to low. Set it to at least 14,6V for a max of 4 hours in cycle use and lower it when it is unused for a longer time.

Equalization is not needed. Keep cycles flat instead and take care that the battery gets fully charged regulary.

1 comment
2 |3000

david-sanchez-pachon avatar image david-sanchez-pachon commented ยท

Thank you!

I am really concious about properly charging. I think my old bank was getting rarely to 100%

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic