question

bunkysdad avatar image
bunkysdad asked

Victron converter-charger??

I have a RV camper and am wanting to know if Victron makes a 120v to 12v ((USA) converter-LiFePO4 charger to replace my factory unit... It must be able to simultaneously serve as both a charger and as a camper 12v power supply...If so, are there any associated Victron devices (such as a control panel, etc) that are necessary to facilitate or enhance charger operations?

I do not need an inverter.

I have a single 200a/h LiFePO4 battery.

Thank You

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You didn't indicate what your DC loads will be in the RV. You want to pick a charger that can supply at least the average DC load. The battery can supply any power needs that exceed the charger's max charging current, then replentish any lost charge when the DC load returns to a lower value.

I would think most chargers with programmable profiles would fit your needs. Keep in mind that a charger functions as a current source until the load reaches the float voltage then becomes a voltage source, but maybe at a limited current. Attaching a load to a charger without a battery may cause it to switch between absorption and float with a corresponding variation in voltage.

I think (but don't know for sure) the a converter is more tuned to providing power to DC loads even without a battery connected.

A battery will provide peak currents to DC loads without the charger switching states. I don't think Victron recommends operating a DC system without a battery in circuit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic