question

kumz2p0 avatar image
kumz2p0 asked

MPPT 250/100 Tr-VECan Error 28 with 20 x 330W Canadian Solar panels

Hello, I've ran into a problem with the mppt 250/100 tr-vecan model. Firstly the MPPT is up to date (running ver 1.05) as per the VictronConnect app. The MPPT goes into err 28 when the power reaches about 4000W then upon restart it works again for a bit and soon as it gets to 4000W the same error occurs.

I have 5 panels in series and 4 in parallel, with Voc = 45.6V and Isc = 9.45A. I used the MPPT calc to model the system and all specs were within range but got warning that I've over-sized PV generator by more than 30%. I figured this wasn't an issue and the MPPT will just max out at 100A and my voltage is within range (max 238V @12 degrees celsius).

But now due to the power stage error, I've had to reduce the system to 4 in series and 4 in parallel, and the MPPT works fine. Is it an issue to have 5 panels in series?

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

have you read the error codes page?

Also, I suspect you are using 72 cell panels, and are at the 250V limit of your controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
kumz2p0 avatar image kumz2p0 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I have gone through the error page and it mentions the controller might be faulty but i already replaced the MPPT with a brand new one and same error still. Yes my panels are 72 cell but i've checked voltage on strings with multimeter and not above 250V?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You might want to rewire your array as 4 series X 5 parallel.

250-100-mppt.jpg (62.5 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kumz2p0 avatar image kumz2p0 commented ·

But my start up voltage is closer to 228V at normal operating conditions

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ kumz2p0 commented ·

I lived somewhere properly tropical (Cairns), 12c was not my minimum temperature. Closer to 5c.

I suspect you are fudging the figures.

0 Likes 0 ·
kumz2p0 avatar image kumz2p0 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The system runs fine with 5 panels in series and 3 in parallel, but soon as i add the 4th string the error kicks in. I agree the open circuit voltage is pretty close to cut off but if that was the issue wouldn't i get error 33 from MPPT (PV-Over Voltage error) and wouldn't it be an issue early morning when colder and NOT later during the day around 10am when system reaches 4000 W?

0 Likes 0 ·
Charles Gomes avatar image
Charles Gomes answered ·

How did you resolve this ?

2 |3000