question

pmarine avatar image
pmarine asked

What is the maximum BMV-712 RJ12 Cable Length?

Hi

I need to install a BMV-712 display in a location that has a cable run length of 50ft from the shunt. I see from previous posts that extending beyond 10M is not advised. However a local representative said that Victron sell RJ12 cables up to 30M for this exact purpose. Can someone please let me know what the maximum RJ12 cable length is for the BMV-712.

Thank you.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @PMarine, we designed and tested for the cable length that comes with the BMV: 10 meters. Thats the official answer: max length 10 meter.

A longer cable might work, or might not. Or it can depend on the amount of interference, longer cable will have more interference. Another possible is issue is more voltage drop, so less accurate voltage reading.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmarine avatar image pmarine commented ·

Thank you for your help Matthijs.

0 Likes 0 ·
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

I've seen quite a few on 20 metre houseboats that appear to be working OK. As for 100% accuracy ... anyone's guess but if the display is up front at the helm it's much more likely to be heard or seen.

2 |3000