question

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht asked

Multiplus "arcing" sound on Absorption or Float

I have a new install Multiplus 12/3000/120 connected to 6 Lion Energy UT1300s in series. It seems to have no issue getting them up to full charge, but once there in either absorption or float it makes a cycling hum/arc noise (sort of like on a teslacoil).

Here are my settings:

Charge current: 80A

Absorption voltage: 14.2v

Float Voltage: 13.9v

Absorption time: 1h

Charge Curve: Fixed

Lion Energy says set Absorption to 14.6, but myself and others have found that trips the internal BMS when the batteries near full.

I have a video available here:

The noise isn't as loud as it is in the video, and the clicking is definitely quieter (it doesn't sound like a relay), but it's noisy enough to hear with everything closed up.

https://youtu.be/z3p0nDMHaPo

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I know you've stated you've resolved the issue, but that float voltage seems too high? Is that what Lion suggests?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht nebulight commented ·

Lion Energy specifically said "13.9 through 14.6 volts will charge the batteries full. 14.6 volts is the max voltage that it will take and 13.9 volts is the minimum voltage for float."

0 Likes 0 ·
davesnothere avatar image davesnothere Jeremy Albrecht commented ·

Im a little late on this but thought I would pass along cause I have a very similar config. I got this from Lion. Victron Multiplus settings for Lion UT1300.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

Well, I'm not sure what the issue was, but someone suggested changing the float voltage to the same as the absorption voltage. I did that overnight and when I came back in the morning the arcing noise had stopped and it was sitting steadily at 1.0A output. I changed the float voltage back down to 13.9 and restarted everything and it's gone through all the stages and is back in float still running properly.

My only guess is that one of the 6 batteries BMS was having an issue and sitting for an extended period at the higher voltage resolved it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Appreciate the update. This is how the forum brings value to everyone.

0 Likes 0 ·