question

w1ldcatrig avatar image
w1ldcatrig asked

Victron mppt 100/30 not charging batteries

I recently upgraded my solar system by installing a victron LiFePO4 200 a/hr battery, a victron mppt 100/30 amp charge controller, and a BVM 712. The set up was fairly easy but I noticed my charge controller isn’t sending any amps to my battery. When Select the battery preset for # 7 on the mppt charge controller, which is recommended in the manual, designed for lithium batteries, I get zero amps of solar. But if I switch it to say a AGM battery preset or a gel victron long life I get amps and the charge controller works fine. What am I doing wrong!!!! Or is the charge controller just faulty.

Here is what happens when I switch to a different preset

I get charge going to my battery

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@W1ldcatrig I noticed the mppt reads the battery temp as -1 degree C which is why it won't charge the Lithium. Typically Lithium should not be charged if the temp is approx 5 degrees or below. The bat temp reads 41 but it does not add up even with degree F which should be about 31. I think that is likely the issue so mppt is working as it should.

Also, I see the battery is at 99% and if the mppt is under the battery's control, it may well stop the charger. My battery won't accept more than 98%.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

w1ldcatrig avatar image w1ldcatrig commented ·

Well it wasn’t charging when the battery was at 89%, I recently drove the car which is why it is at 99%

As for the temps. I’m still confused about that. Seems like that’s quite low, I’m in Las Vegas where it is 90Deg F

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight w1ldcatrig commented ·

Hey, I'm in LV too and it's HOT this week.

If you want me to take a look at your settings I can. Chances are your temp settings are not correct. Do you have a temp sensor on your BMV712? Check the Aux setting on the BMV if you don't have one. If you ahve a smart network between the BMV and the MPPT and the temp data from the BMV is incorrect, this would explain why the MPPT isn't charging (it thinks it's too cold and preventing damage to the battery).

0 Likes 0 ·
w1ldcatrig avatar image w1ldcatrig nebulight commented ·

Man I would so happpy!! I’m so frustrated with it

0 Likes 0 ·
w1ldcatrig avatar image w1ldcatrig w1ldcatrig commented ·

I don’t have a temp. sensor what part of town are you in? Crazy if we are neighbors lol

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm in the north west off 95 and Ann.

Do you know if you created a smart network between the MPPT and BMV? If so, if you don't have a temp sensor, make sure you don't have it enabled on the BMV712. Under the BMV712 settings, check Settings/Misc/Aux input. Make sure it's not set to Temp.

0 Likes 0 ·

Wow I’m off 95n and Jones. Pretty close!
That was it!! It was set to temperature!
should I put it to starter battery or mid point? Those are the other options. Tha k you so much for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·

Glad that worked for you neighbor!

I'd just set it to starter battery, though I'd look into getting a temp sensor. While it's warm here most of the year, depending on where you travel, it's a good idea to have a temp sensor to turn off charging on the MPPT when it's too cold. The MPPT has an internal temp sensory but for $30 it's worth it to add it to the BMV (and you can also use the internal relay to control devices based off temp).

fyi I've got a DIY Ram Promaster camper van. If you ever want to meet up and talk gear, my username is the same on all social media. It's also my gmail address.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yeah I’ll shoot you a Gmail. I got a mercedes sprinter

0 Likes 0 ·
w1ldcatrig avatar image w1ldcatrig w1ldcatrig commented ·

Sent you one, might have gone to your junk mail

0 Likes 0 ·