question

harrison avatar image
harrison asked

Solar beginner (2nd question)

Hi all,

I’ve got another question regarding a new camper van project.

Briefly, I will be using the redarc BCDC1240D as the main DC-DC charger for the leisure battery bank while driving... a Victron mains 240v/ 12v 30a for when on site hookup... Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and Victron Smart battery protects.

due to purchasing incompatible solar panels (voc too high) for the redarc I’m looking at using a Victron smart solar MPPT controller that will communicate with all the other Victron products... my question is this,

Should I scrap the panels (as I’ve really got no other use) and use the redarc’s 600w capacity for solar.

Continue to purchase the Victron Smart MPPT and run without solar capacity from the redarc, which seems a real shame not to use it.

Or... can I use the Victron as intended 810w solar (3x270w) with my current panels and also add the redarc as an additional 400w (2x200w) to increase the solar capacity when out and about for extended stays without hookup? Like store them in the van and then setup on nice afternoons facing the sun???

Correct me if I’m wrong (totally new to this) but I was assuming the roof panels (Victron

Controller) will be the dominant charger during midday sun and hoping as the angle of the sun changes the redarc’s portable setup (400w) might make the most of the last few hours. Or will one be more dominant and there’s no point having 2? Could the lack of Bluetooth and user settings on the redarc mean that’s the dominant charger at less solar capacity (only 400w not 810w) because the Victrons smart enough to stop charging when it sees the voltage in the system from the redarc. So in essence the Victron 810w just sit idle and a waste of money....

It seems a real shame not to use the redarc but also the rest of the battery bank is set to run Victron... it was my mistake I purchased incompatible solar panels, and if I don’t use them they’ll just sit around wasting away. Hope I’ve explained this well enough.
At this point in time it works out to be just as expensive to replace the current panels for redarc compatible ones as it is to add the Victron mppt controller (it just means I’ll have a few panels sat in the garden)....

Just a little bit further info I currently have 2x270w (540w) panels but Once the van arrives I will Probably look to add a third making 810w Total from the a Victron Smart mppt.

Thanks for any advice,

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
p-l avatar image
p-l answered ·

Hi Harrison. Did you get any answer in the end? I have exactly the same question

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.