question

strap1972 avatar image
strap1972 asked

BMV700 beginner questions

Hi, I recently installed a BMV700 and have some questions. I thought this would be an easy installation which would work straight out-of-the-box but still have some questions though.

1) My battery charger (fraron) has its own temperatur sensor, which should be connected to the negative lead of the battery. Can I still attach it to the battery lead, together with the shunt cable?
2) the SOC remains 100% even though the battery is now at 12,4V. In the setting, charged voltage is 13.2V, so that seems ok. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

1) My battery charger (fraron) has its own temperatur sensor, which should be connected to the negative lead of the battery. Can I still attach it to the battery lead, together with the shunt cable?

Yes you atill connect that to the negative post of the battery as well as the shunt lead

2) the SOC remains 100% even though the battery is now at 12,4V. In the setting, charged voltage is 13.2V, so that seems ok. Any thoughts?

make sure you set the capacity correctly to be the size of your battery bank in the bmv

also set the charge voltage to say 14 volts or the absorption voltage so that the SOC resets to 100% when it gets to 14 volts.

As a after thought consider getting a Bluetooth dongle for the BMV 700 as programing it and looking up the stats on the phone is much easyer, just a sugestion

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

strap1972 avatar image
strap1972 answered ·

Thanks for the quick answer. The battery size is setup correct (120ah). I'll change the charge voltage settings... (will check what the absorption voltage of the charger is).

I also have the bluetooth dongle working, liek you say, it's a lot easier configuring and looking up everything. If needed, I can provide screenshots if you need more information about the config.

But I'll change the charge voltage first (just change and apply? Nothing more needed?)

Should this show direct change in the SOC?

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Once the battry is full ie 14,4 volts for 4 hrs then its basically. this voltage will depend on the CHARGERS SETTINGS.

Note make sure you adjust the alarm settings ie the low and high voltages

ie I would set the low voltage at 12.2 and the high at 14.9

this way you will get a warning before you fully flatten the battery or if its getting over charged for some reason.

the voltages mentioned are indicative and will need to be adjusted to suit your requirements. and the battery manufacturers requirements.

0 Likes 0 ·
strap1972 avatar image strap1972 Paul B commented ·

thanks paul... like i said, this is all new to me. I haven't found much details about the battery either, but you got me on the way :-) thnx!

0 Likes 0 ·