question

scott-arizona avatar image
scott-arizona asked

Multiplus No Lights - no response

This 12V/3000VA/120A/Multiplus has been great for the past two years and died trickle charging my two 100Ah, 12V, Battleborn LiFePo batteries. The inverter was in charger mode in my RV plugged into an extension cord from the house when I happened to notice while polling the BMV 700 that the battery SOC had dropped to 56%. There are no LEDs illuminated and the weather is cool. I have been able to charge the batteries with the Victron mppt 100/50 Smartsolar charge controller. There are no tripped breakers and the 400A fuse with the 4/0 3ft cables are fine.

The AC source seems fine @ 120V. The DC batteries are at 13.5VDC. A cursory examination finds all the ribbon connectors to be secure, no burned boards, nothing discolored as if it got hot. Everything seems nice and tight inside, no loose bus bars. The two 20A fuses on the charge board measure fine. There had been no load on the inverter for two months prior to the failure and it never sees more than a 900W microwave on the inverter side, that it handles easily. I have contacted my vendor in Flagstaff, and they had no idea. They are inquiring to Victron. I have scoured the internet and can't find an identical failure mode. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your input. ---- Scott

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Do you have anything connected to the VE bus of the inverter, if so try

1. disconnecting the VE bus plug disconnect the inverter from the BATTERIES wait 10 min, and reconnect it, see if it starts by turning the switch on and off on the inverter.,

2. then plug the VE bus cable back in

3. if you have a victron remote control unit make sure its turned on.

4. connect a MK2 unit to the Multiplus and upgrade the firmware to the latest version. Note if you do do this all setting will be changed back to default settings, including and assistants etc

5. take it to a victron agent for testing or Warranty repair if its under 5 years old

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scott-arizona avatar image scott-arizona commented ·

Thanks for your answer Paul. I don't have anything connected to the VE bus of the inverter. I tried talking to it with the MK2 and it does not see the inverter at all. It usually does fine with the MK2. I tried this under several conditions including 120VAC in only connected, AC and batteries (13.5VDC) connected, also without batteries with plenty of time (>10min) to drain the caps, turning the switch on for each test. Would you expect LED's during this process? I have been using that as my main indicator that it is awake. I have no remote control unit. I had a switch for 'remote' connected to the terminal block referenced as H in appendix 1 in the manual. I disconnected this immediately to start troubleshooting.

I have contacted my local Victron supplier in Flagstaff (I'm in PHX) but they have been slow to respond. Apparently they don't do repairs on site either. They are working in a precautionary mode due to Covid-19, so, products coming out mostly, not in.

Their site says to work with your vendor for support, so I started there. The unit is not even 2 years old. Purchased August 2018. Thanks again for your response.

0 Likes 0 ·
sirrod avatar image sirrod scott-arizona commented ·
Did you come right, having a similar problem
0 Likes 0 ·