question

rickd83 avatar image
rickd83 asked

What can I power with Multiplus Compact Inverter-Charger

I just had a mobile RV tech install a Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80 in my rig, and the inverter is currently running 5 outlets (total of 18 outlets in rig), and not powering any appliance. I want to have two more outlets added to the inverter to run a TV and a satellite receiver. Since this inverter-charger only has one AC out, is this possible?

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

You didn't say how your RV is currently powered, but yes, some changes are undoubtably possible given some electrical expertise. Before deciding on the best approach, you need to make a list of all available loads and whether or not you want them fed from the inverter. Also take note of the trailer's shore power inlet: 120v 30a or 120/240v 50a.

There are several ways to wire an inverter into an RV's electrical system:

Feeding the inverter from an output from the main distribution panel, then on to the loads on that circuit is probably the easiest to configure and sounds like how yours was installed. To add additional loads to the inverter output would require rewiring those loads to the same branch circuit. That may or may not be practical depending on the current topology of your RV's wiring,

Placing the inverter ahead of the existing power distribution with the inverter's input coming from shore power (as I did in my RV) means all loads in the RV can run off the inverter, assuming the inverter has enough power or your are able to manually manage the loads. The inverter you have will feed through more power than it can supply from batteries so an overload is likely only when shore power is missing (or limited).

A 120/240 volt inlet to the RV means one inverter won't be able to feed all loads in the trailer since there are two hot leg coming in. A second inverter can run in "split phase" mode to handle the other leg if desired or you can arrange all the loads that will run off the inverter to be on the same leg (usually the same side of the power distribution panel).

A third approach is to install a separate power distribution panel to feed any loads you wish to power from the inverter. The inverter is connected between one output from the main distribution panel and the sub-panel. All loads are then wired to breakers in the sub-panel.

I suppose you could use one of the multi-circuit home generator changeover panels to switch individual branch circuits between shore power and the inverter. That would allow more flexibility in selecting loads fed from the inverter. You'd need to find space near the main distribution panel for that changeover panel however.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

This will depend on power consumptions, cable size and breaker size

you will need a local electro technician

Harold

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You can install as many sockets as you want, but you are always limited to the maximum power of you inverter (2000VA -> 1600W@25°C).

2 |3000