question

muendo avatar image
muendo asked

Single or Multiple Inverters? 2 x MultiPlus II 5 or 1 x Quattro 10?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of using 2 x MULTIPLUS II 48/5000/70-50 Versus 1 x Quattro 48/10000/140-100/100?

Thanks for your replies!!!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Muendo. The only real functional difference will be that the Multiplus II has built in anti-islanding, so if you need that you’ll have to add an external anti-islanding device when using the Quattro. The no-load current draw is stated as 60w for a 10K Quattro, and the Multiplus II is said to be 18W so two of them will bring it to 36W. From an installation point of view, it will be more challenging to install the two Multi’s to get them to share the load 50/50 between them.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

muendo avatar image muendo commented ·

Thank you @Murray !

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

I had the same question and appreciate the response from @Murray van Graan.

You say : it will be more challenging to install the two Multi’s to get them to share the load 50/50 between them.

Are the loads supposed to be supplied 50/50 , or the first 5K on the 1st Multi, and if 6 or 7K, then the second one provides ? Isn't this the base for the concept of master / Slave inverters ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

Hi @Herve RV Nizard. The loads are supposed to be split 50/50 between inverters. The master is purely the controlling unit, but as far as the load is concerned they need to share that

0 Likes 0 ·
Lyndsay Cotton avatar image
Lyndsay Cotton answered ·

Hello,

I would appreciate assistance in this as well. I am submitting a proposal today and I'm up against a Quattro vs my 2 x Multiplus 2 on a single phase.

ie: 1 x Quattro 48/10000 vs 2 x Multi 48/5000

If someone could urgently assist be with this i would be eternally grateful

I see the first answer is roughly 10 months ago.

Question 1

Does the Quattro 48/10000 still NOT have anti islanding?

If Not, then to comply with our regulations - how do I deal with the anti islanding

Question 2

Are the Multi's not connected in parallel? OR

Must I split my DB in 2 - One Multi out to one have DB and other Multi to other half DB

As mentioned in the previous post - It seems as if the loads must be split

Question 3

How do I then deal with the batteries - Are they on the same bus as BOTH Multi's and the Battery?

Should one Multi be off or disconnected - that all the battery power then gets distributed to the remaining Multi.

Question 4

I read a while back that the Multis must be from the original "batch" / Firmware. What happens if one has to be replaced? A previous reply was that Victron would then replace both - Is this indeed the case?

I am using two SEPARATE arrays

first array goes to one x MPPT 250/85

second array goes to the second MPPT 250/85

My intention is, is to take each array to a separate combiner box BUT to then take each combiner box to ONE BUS - In this instance probably one to the first multi and the second to the other multi - being that they are connected in parrallel and on the same bus anyway.

2 |3000