question

jpiercy avatar image
jpiercy asked

BMV700 data cable RJ12 connectors

I have a BMV700 battery monitor (2 years old, works great). I I need to shorten the 10M (!) data cable. The data cable connectors are simply described as RJ12 in the specs. I have a 6P6C crimper and bought RJ12 plug connectors but these connectors don't fit into the place the data cable plugs into the shunt. Is there anything else I should know about the connectors to ensure I next purchase ones that fit? Thanks!

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

silverliningsolar avatar image silverliningsolar commented ·
I have some RJ12 in my toolbox as a reformed IT guy, and neither they or some new ones I ordered from DigiKey fit. They are very tight - and if you *do* manage to get one in, it's very near impossible to get out. What to heck?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @jpiercy

did you crimp it yet? before crimping it doesn't fit indeed...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jpiercy avatar image jpiercy commented ·

OMG, of course, thank you. I've crimped lots of electrical wire before but never data lines and I didn't want to mess this one up as I threaded the data line from shunt to monitor up behind the inner wall of my van to get the monitor at eye level and I will never reach that data cable again. I'll go practice crimping a few of these plugs on a spare data cable now to get the hang of it and check for fit. Thanks so much!

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@jpiercy, it's definitely an RJ12 jack that the BMV-7xx battery monitors use... I'm curious as to what kind of jack you actually ended up with, though, since a great deal of the RJs are actually the same size just with different pinouts... are the plugs you ended up with bigger or smaller than the port on the shunt PCB?

1 comment
2 |3000

jpiercy avatar image jpiercy commented ·

Plugs seems to fit but the contacts look to be a bit protruded. I think Daniel just pointed out why! Thanks for the response.

0 Likes 0 ·