question

toby10surf avatar image
toby10surf asked

Have I set it up right?! BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 Victron Solar Controller 12/24V

Hello people!

I bought a brand new BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 Victron Solar Controller 12/24V about 2.5/3 years ago. , for my small camper van, to charge phones, LED interior lights etc relatively small loads.

I connected controller to two new leisure batteries and a new 120w PV panel on my camper van. As far as I am aware I have connected it all correctly, in the right order, it all worked well at first.

The yellow light has pretty much always flashed (charging?) apart from at night. The green light is always on.

For about the last year, when I use a small amount of 'load' e.g. plug in a phone charger lead into the USB port on the volt meter the voltage on the voltmeter drops rapidly and doesn't charge the phone (even in bright sunlight).

The only thing I have noticed is that - on the bottom of the BlueSolar controller, beside the 20amp fuse, there is a place to put in 'pins' for a certain set up. My controller has no pins in position. Should there be?

Any advice or help or suggestions would be most gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Toby

MPPT Controllers
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra โ™ฆ commented ยท

@Toby10Surf If I am understanding correctly and your system has been working all this time, then your batteries are also 2.5 to 3 years old. Depending on your battery type 2.5 to 3 years may suggest end of life, if they are AGM or similar. If nothing else has changed in all that time then I would start checking out their condition.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra โ™ฆ commented ยท

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Solar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15-&-MPPT-100-20-EN-.pdf

Page 8. Some Information about the LEDs on your MPPT

3.7 LEDs
Green LED: indicates which load output control algorithm has been chosen.
On: one of the two conventional load output control algorithms (see Fig 2)
Blinking: BatteryLife load output control algorithm (see Fig 2)

Yellow LED: signals charge sequence
Off: no power from PV array (or PV array connected with reverse polarity)
Blinking fast: bulk charge (battery in partially charged state)
Blinking slow: absorption charge (battery charged to 80% or more)
On: float charge (battery fully charged)

0 Likes 0 ยท
toby10surf avatar image toby10surf Alexandra โ™ฆ commented ยท

Thank you Alexandra. I guess you are right, the batteries must be getting a bit tired. I just thought the battries (2x110ah leisure batteries that have not had a hard life) would still have enough juice in them to charge a phone, turn on a 4w led light and not cut out etc. Especially when the mppt controller has the yellow light on 'Float' pretty much all the time? for ever!

0 Likes 0 ยท
0 Answers