question

matheia avatar image
matheia asked

How will adding more solar effect my existing systems wiring and monitoring?

To my old system I gonna add some new solarpanels and an mppt regulator. From before there is solarpanels with an mppt, connected to a multiplus compact and batterybank 12v.

I guess I connect the new mppt parallell, but may I connect it through the connections of the old mppt?

The total solarpaneleffect is like 750w, is it ok with 6mm wire?

My new mppt is smartsolar the old not, will wiring effect my bluetooth readings?

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

@Matheia, this could not be a good idea. If to much amps run though the DC cable, more voltage is lost, you loss efficiency and chargevoltage goes wrong. Victron has a nice App (Victron Toolkit App) you can download to calculate the voltage loss. You must also have a fuse in the DC line between the MPPT and battery.

Hope this helps. Regards, Rob

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matheia avatar image
matheia answered ·

Thank you Rob.

I tried the app, but not sure if I understand it correctly. I am not sure how many Amps will go from the solar panels and to the mppt. The solar note says 9 ish at most, and I believe the only resistance will be the cable?

I have 6mm and a 50A fuse in my existing system. I believe this will be good enough?

2 |3000

Related Resources