question

lajo1976 avatar image
lajo1976 asked

Orion-Tr or Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger for charging Lifepo4 batteries

Hi, I want to charge my supply battery (LifePo4 12V100 with BMS) in my boat. I have an Mercury 75 Hp outboard with a regular lead acid as starter battery

I have looked at the Orion-Tr or Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC. I don't need the BT function as in the Smart DC-DC charger (my litium battery has a BT function ). I know the Orion Tr is just a DC-DC converter but would be fine to use as a charger for my Lifep4 battery which wants CC/CV charging. Looking at the Smart charger it has the 3-phase charging steps but I don't know what benefits it would be for my litium battery?

Any pro/cons for the Orion Tr agains Orion Tr Smart?

/Joakim

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @lajo1976

They may look and sound much the same, but in reality they're quite different devices.

You may not care for BT, but the alternative means adjusting the V output with a tiny screwdriver, testing that with a multimeter, and disconnecting it from the batt while doing so. And you'll get a stable one-level V.

If you (and your batt) can live with that, then fine. But remember one was designed as a dc/dc converter, the other to charge batts.

Up to you to decide whether you can wear the inconvenience.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lajo1976 avatar image lajo1976 commented ·

Thank you John.

Yes the non smart series it is not deticated charger but my regular 230 V Lifepo4 charger just deliver constant current and voltage so it shouldnt be a problem.

Regards Joakim

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic