question

rbreding avatar image
rbreding asked

Multiplus 12/2000 Shuts down when using AC on Generator

Preface: AC worked fine previously on 2000w and 3500w generator.

Installed Multiplus 12/2000-80 with the intention of using the inverter for small AC loads etc (no intention of running roof AC on the inverter). Testing the unit today on Generator and it kept faulting instantly due to low battery and "ripple" when the AC compressor kicks on. Generators both set normal running with ECO off. Initially thought that the 2000w generator wasn't behaving properly and tested with the 3500w with the same result. Searched for answers to why my settings weren't working. Reset the Multiplus to defaults to test from baseline. Tried the following:

Current limit of 30a-50a with the same result.
Enabling/disabling current limiter same result.
DC low input set at default of 9.3v
Disabled the charger

Watching the voltage on the BMV it never dips and watching the Multiplus on VE.direct doesn't show the voltage dipping either. What baffles me is why the unit isn't allowing the current to pass right through it? I am not even hearing the generator get hit but the amp draw. I also tested the heat strip in the AC unit as another high amp draw and it works fine. Draws about 1500w and is passed through from the generator through the multiplus just fine. AC unit is the problem. Wiring is 2/0 from the busbar to the batteries (about 5') and 1/0 from busbar to Multiplus (2'). I also eliminated the breaker in case it was weak with the same result.....frustrated.

Any thoughts as to where I am going wrong here ?

Multiplus-II
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

coltarkdm avatar image coltarkdm commented ยท

Have you tried disconnecting the generator and plugging into shore power? Divide and conquer!

0 Likes 0 ยท
rbreding avatar image rbreding coltarkdm commented ยท

As an update I brought the trailer home from the storage lot. Hooked it up to mains from house and the A/C started up just fine. Multiplus didn't even click.

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi @rbreding

You're likely experiencing spikes from the ac load, which may not be visible in the reporting. And the gennies used standalone may be able to deal with that. Usually inverter types will react by interrupting supply, and may revert to normal when the spike passes.

But the Multi will see it, though it may not say so. Usually you'll hear a relay click when it does this.

Presuming you have access to VEConfig, and your supply is 230V ac..

In the 'General' tab, set your 'AC input current limit' to something your genny can handle, say 5A for the 2000W unit. And in the 'Inverter' tab ensure that 'Power Assist' is enabled. I think 2.0 is the default boost factor, but you might experiment with higher.

You could leave the charger enabled, which uses the same circuitry as the inverter, and even a little 'surface charge' in the batts might help ride the spike if small batts are an issue.

If all that fails, there's this: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rbreding avatar image rbreding commented ยท

As an update:

I do have VECONFIG and suppli is 120v AC

Tested today on house mains shore and everything seemed to work fine.

Both generators are inverter tested with ECO off.

I have changed the powerassist factor to 1.0 as a test with the same result on generator. Disabled powerassist again with same result.

Of note VEconfig reports in the "NS Protection Log" an event each time the multiplus shuts down:

Still testing various settings but something in the software is not jiving with the generators. Trying other settings to see.

0 Likes 0 ยท
1585150705096.png (6.3 KiB)
rbreding avatar image rbreding rbreding commented ยท

When disabling the current limiter I get this over frequency and under voltage.

Listening to the generator when the A/C hits before the multiplus shuts down (albiet instantly) I barely hear the generator even complain.

0 Likes 0 ยท
1585150868128.png (7.0 KiB)
rbreding avatar image
rbreding answered ยท

More testing:
Started the A/C while on mains....ran it for a minute...then pulled the plug. Inverter took over an A/C kept running. Plugged it into the generator and after the multiplus synched up it switched the load to the generator and kept humming along. A/C cycled the compressor off by itself. When the compressor kicked back on the Multiplus did its shutdown again. NS Protection log showed "over frequency" again.

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Maybe you're making progress, I hope so. I've not seen the Hz issue before, and I guess you're using 60Hz kit. If you're unaware, there's a setting in VEConfig to 'Accept wide input frequency range' (up to 65Hz).

Or maybe you're exceeding that even, with some dynamic in your system?

Inverter gennies would normally easily comply, but they're not tolerant of being pushed to their limits. Maybe sneak-up on the issue to see where those limits really are?

0 Likes 0 ยท
rbreding avatar image rbreding JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

@JohnC

Easy start came in today and of course it must be tested right away. Installed it and went through the learning process on mains and then its showtime....

Left powerassist off and dynamic current limit off for first test.
Switched from shore to generator (3500w ECO off) and let the multiplus sync up to the generator. Then turned on the A/C. Fan of course powered up first....then after a about 2 minutes the compressor kicked on. Immediately the Multiplus disconnected and the inverter kicked on. The Multiplus did not go into alarm and shut off however. The A/C finished starting up and then the multiplus synced back up and transferred the load back to the generator and everything kept running until the compressor cycled again. Process repeated itself with the multiplus disconnecting mains, inverter powers up the compressor, syncs back up, and the multiplus transfers the load back to the generator.

Some progress I would say but still puzzling why the multiplus disconnected the generator again.

Next test, Set Dynamic current limit to 20a, powerassist on (1.0factor), cycle the compressor with the temp setting and then....same thing. Compressor kicks on and the multiplus disconnects the mains and fires up the compressor....then syncs back up and transfers the load to the generator.

Next test, Dynamic current limit to 10a, powerassist on (1.0factor)....repeat and same thing.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Is it possible the multiplus is bad ? What else can I test ?

0 Likes 0 ยท
rbreding avatar image rbreding rbreding commented ยท

Small update. Changed the "UPS Function" to off and this allowed the Multiplus now to stay on when the A/C compressor kicked on while on generator.

I read the help section on the "UPS Function" but I guess I need to dive deeper and search some more to find out where the issue is then......

0 Likes 0 ยท