question

mscott513147 avatar image
mscott513147 asked

How to attach the MPPT output to a Lynx distribution box

My question is how to attach my Victron 100/50 MPPT output to my Travel Trailer system. The system includes (4) Battleborn batteries in parallel. I'm using one Lynx distribution box to wire my DC output lights, inverter/charger, ground to the trailer. I also have a BMV Shunt between the negative battery terminal and the negative input to the Lynx distribution box.
When I hook up the output from MPPT Solar controller I see three different choices. Which is the best/correct one I should use.
1. Run the MPPT output positive/negative to the Victron Lynx distribution box as one of the separate outputs to the Lynx.
2. Run the MPPT output positive/negative directly to the battery post where I have the output cables from the battery bank for the input positive/negative on the Lynx distribution box
3. Run the MPPT output positive/negative directly to the opposite ends/post of the output post from the battery bank for the positive/negative. In other words attach MPPT positive output to the positive post furthest away positive post attached to the Lynx distribution box. Same with the negative MPPT output as well.

I would like to understand the correct wiring from a battery perspective, but also from a Victron Shunt (BMV 700) perspective to make sure it is recording the input/output amperage correctly as well.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

You need to connect the output of the MPPT to one of the ways in the Lynx distributo.

1......so the MPPT is properly fused at the Lynx

2.....all generated solar power is passing through the shunt and not bypassing it.

The below image shows my MPPT connected to the RHS of the shunt along with inverter and dc loads!

@mscott513147

0 Likes 0 ·
s-forsberg avatar image s-forsberg commented ·

@mscott513147 Nice setup! Exactly what fuse did you use for the MPPT and where did you get it? I need a 50V / 60A fuse for my Lynx and it is really hard to find one!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mscott513147

Can you draw a sketch of what you are proposing? it is not very clear from the text..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mscott513147 avatar image
mscott513147 answered ·

Here is an overview of my proposed system. The more I think about this one I would assume I should be wiring the MPPT into the Lynx so the charging is registered through the Shunt just like the inverter/charger.

RV Solar Diagram vii.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

The only thing connected to your battery bank should be the BMV....as per my image!
although I’m using a Lynx Shunt

0 Likes 0 ·