question

jonvoigt avatar image
jonvoigt asked

Can't update firmware on 2702 Multi, VEFlash can't connect

Hi, I'm having a really hard time trying to get my firmware updated.

I have a 2702 Multi. Current firmware 413 so I need to use VEFlash. I've disconnected all accessories and plugged the MK3 directly to the Multi.

Every time I try and run the VEflash program it says it can't connect.

• I'm using the USB MK3, it connects just fine using VEConfig.
  • I've tried powering the Multi off DC and AC
  • I've tried multiple computers
  • I've tried upgrading to the 3 different firmware versions available for download
  • I've tried changing the COM port assigned to the MK3.

I can't think of what else to try, it is really frustrating and I need the updates to the PowerAssist. Please let me know if you have any other ideas I can try.

Thx

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jonvoigt avatar image
jonvoigt answered ·

Thanks everyone for replying back. I've tried for days and then messages here and then shortly after tried a few more things and got it working! Typical! I've read all the documentation and I followed the steps perfectly.

What ended up being the issue was HOW I disconnected and reconnected the MK3. In the video, you connect the ethernet to the Multi and to the MK3 and then the USB to the computer and auto-detect the com port, then go to the Connect Part 1 screen. This screen doesn't talk about disconnecting the MK3. I did it anyway by unplugging the USB cable and turning off the Multi.

I then as per the instructions and video, plugged the USB back in "Connect the communication cable to the device and PC". That is where the issue was. I actually had to unplug the ether cable from the MK3 after turning off the device AND had to unplug the USB cable too. I THEN reconnected the USB cable, THEN reconnected the ethernet cable. I went to Connect part 2 and then switch on the device and how it can see it.

So at the end when I turned off the device, I needed to unplug BOTH the USB and ethernet cable. I retested this a few things and it was 100% reproducible...

Hope this helps others as well!

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It shouldn't be necessary to unplug/plug the USB and/or the RJ45 at all.

1. Just plug in all cables
2. switch on the Multi *
3. start VEflash -> start -> next -> next
4. select the firmware -> next -> next
5. click on "Auto detect" or select the right port * -> next
6. switch off the Multi * -> next
7. switch on the Multi -> next -> next

* If you know on what COM port you MK3 is, you can leave the Multi off and select the right port at 5 and switch on the Multi at 7.

I think what confused you is 3. in "Connect part 1" just ignore it because you already have connected all cables.
Maybe this can be changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
joshuaosborn avatar image joshuaosborn Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Hi @Matias Käkelä, I did exactly as you say (and the directions, and the video) and haven't been able to connect from VEFlash, only VEconfig. tried multiple computers as well. Any other ideas?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Do you get any error messages? Is VE.config still running in the background?

You can try to update the firmware with VictronConnect.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello @jonvoigt,

You didn't mention reading the manual, so I will make sure that you are familiar with it; https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

Specifically watching and following along with the step by step video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIn0mHLqU5Y

Could you please confirm that you have exhausted all the options, and followed that precise procedure?

Failure to connect can happen when the unit isn't switched off at the correct time of the procedure, before it is turned on again to enter the firmware flashing boot loader stage. Following the precise letter of the instructions of the application should take care of this though.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic