question

Craig Myatt avatar image
Craig Myatt asked

2 MPPT controllers, 2 battery banks, 1 PV array

I want to setup 2 x 150/35 Smart solars with 2 different battery banks, but using the same PV array. I presume that is OK...when one throttles back the PV, it just redirects to the other...and similar when both do...so should be OK?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

What are the voltages of the banks and how are they connected to the MPPT and what are they each connected to?

Please rephrase the question from “when one throttles back”.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Craig Myatt avatar image Craig Myatt commented ·

Good question, I should have said, the main bank is 48V, and a secondary bank is 12V. The 48V bank feeds into a MultiplusII 48/3000, and the second into a 12V fridge.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Craig. Running 2x mppt's from one array isn't supported.

You could just run a single mppt to your 48V batts and charge your 12V system from there. A few options to do that, but I just use an old ac workshop charger, through a $5 timer set for solar hours.

Inefficient? Maybe, but solar is free.

2 |3000