question

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw asked

SmartSolar 75/15 full of white plastic beads - anyone seen this before?

A customer of mine just unboxed his new sealed Smartsolar 75/15 and this is what came out of the box. A certain RMA for me, but has anyone else experienced this? I have never seen one inside but it sure looks like there has been some degradation of the plastic possibly?

MPPT Controllers
s-l1600.jpg (516.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@ejrossouw, yes, this is the "sand" - thermal conductor/dissipator used in the small 75/10s and 75/15s that don't have heatsinks built-in. I've seen this quite a few times; usually after a customer has fried their controller but occasionally right out of the box.

Other than the failure of the bottom plate adhesive to keep the "sand" isolated to where it's supposed to be, there's nothing to be too worried about - it's not degradation or anything, it's just a failure of the bottom plate adhesive to keep the plate and the sand in place.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Thank you Justin. I have definitely learned something new today.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ ejrossouw commented ·

Haha you're welcome... the first time I saw it I had the same reaction, like where the **** did this sand come from... then after extensive research - and additional instances - I established what it was.

Pretty sure it's literally silica sand... there aren't a lot of components around that seem to use this method, but it's a great thermal insulator/dissipator, and given the (usually) tight seal between the 75/xx base and the potting of the components inside, it's a great way to accomplish heat dissipation without resorting to heatsinks on those little MPPTs.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Is it a RMA as 'sand' is now much lost and I cannot expect the customer to glue it it back together and neither do I have the means to return it to a proper state? It came like this out of sealed packaging.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ ejrossouw commented ·

Yes, Please RMA.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Done. Fingers crossed I don't end up with more of these in the order I am placing today ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ ejrossouw commented ·

@ejrossouw, in my experience (and we go through a lot of these), it's roughly 1 in 1000 that have the issue, so I feel pretty confident that you'll be okay :)

0 Likes 0 ·
bellda avatar image
bellda answered ·

Same issue, however the granules are escaping from the gap between the cover and the base plate. I hardly use this controller...img-0818-b.jpgimg-0822.jpg

img-0818-b.jpg (2.9 MiB)
img-0822.jpg (3.3 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@bellda

It doesn't come out during use. Usually if it has been dropped or opened this happens. They are designed to be permanently mounted.

That is alot of sand out... I would not use it In that state.

If you are a person who repairs, you can open up and put it back.

1 Like 1 ·