question

trip avatar image
trip asked

Install bmv 712 with redarc bcdc1240

Just purchased the bmv712, trying to install on my motor home but I think I’m overthinking it. I have a redarc bcdc1240 charge controller, which runs my solar and converts my alternators 24v to 12v while the bus is running.

Question is; 1: is the instal as easy as cutting my earth wire, and running end to the shunt

2: does the bcdc charge controller earth have to be connected to the shunt directly?

Thanks in advance guys and girls

BMV Battery Monitorinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Trip,

all negative wires connects to the load side of the shunt. No need to connect them directly to the shunt, but to the load side of the shunt. The other side of the shunt connects to the battery negative pole. Thus the negative wire of your charger goes to the load side of the shunt.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trip avatar image trip commented ·

Thanks a million Stephanie :) and just for my understanding, my earths on each of my 12v sockets and appliances screws directly to the metal seat rail that runs the length of my bus, will the battery monitor still read these accurately as they don’t go to a central bus bar? Thanks in advance

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ trip commented ·

Yes, as long as the meta seat rail is (somehow) connected to the load side of the shunt.

Basically it looks like this: there is only one connection from the battery negative pole and that goes to the battery side of the shunt. All other negative wires from your charger(s) and load(s) must connect to the load side of the shunt. Only then it will count incoming and outgoing current correctly. I personally think that the drawing in the quick installation manual explains this quite well.

Edit: and just to make sure (because you say "earth", which usually refers to AC wiring), we're speaking of DC, not AC.

0 Likes 0 ·
trip avatar image trip Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Stephanie, I was confused on whether the charger and loads has to be directly connected to the shunt, or if they are indirectly connected by being connected to the seat rail which is connected to the seat rail. Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page