question

englishelectriciansfrance avatar image
englishelectriciansfrance asked

multiplus transfer switching

hi

i have two multiplus 3000/24v in parallel master slave mode. we live off grid with a 1000ah c5 battery bank, a large industrial clean supply generator.

ok so the problem, when we first set up all worked well, now when on generator only one inverter switches to pass through mode, but you can hear it intermitantly switching a large relay/contactor, the vrm shows bizzare data, wont supply more than 3kw and if house load goes above this the batteries are used, all the time the "faulty" inverter clicks and clicks.

so i assume the sensing of mains on this second inverter is faulty, my issue is we have already sent the device away once under warranty and they sent it back saying it had no faults, the cost to post we had to pay, we got it back and still was the same, our biggest issue is relying on the power so sending it away again in winter we are not happy with.

i am an electronics engineer, and would happily replace the board myself, can i buy a PCB? if this is fault?

steve

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @englishelectriciansfrance

There's some 'adjustments' you might care to try on your picky Multi(s):

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

This issue isn't uncommon. And not all generators are created equal..

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

englishelectriciansfrance avatar image englishelectriciansfrance commented ·

hi johnc

thanks for taking time to reply.

i understand not all generators are equal, but one we are using is a propper one, 1500rpm 4 cylinder 10kva constant rated made by SDMO.

and the two multis are not picky, just one of them, one works fine with the generator one doesnt, they are configured master and slave, i have swapped this setup around still the same, if i disconnect the two mains outputs from being joined, i have 226v input to each inverter, 226v output on working inverter and 190v output on faulty one, only when generator on, in inverting mode both inverters output 220v.

the noise of the transfer relay is not normal, it is intermittent and fast, sometimes fast like a machine gun.

steve

0 Likes 0 ·
englishelectriciansfrance avatar image englishelectriciansfrance englishelectriciansfrance commented ·

i could not upload video of fault but link t it here for limited time.

you can clearly see front LEDS indicate this device as slave and mains/generator is active.

https://www.englishelectriciansfrance.com/blank-page

0 Likes 0 ·
electricienlem avatar image electricienlem englishelectriciansfrance commented ·

Electricienlemans offers electrical services for your home or business, including childproof outlets, commercial energy audits, and whole home surge protection. Our techs have been trained by the Performance Institute, and are held to higher standards for quality of work.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yeh ok Steve. That '190V' doesn't sound great, but we can't go just on that. Random comments..

For generators, please lose your total-faith position. This whitepaper is ageing, but might explain a few things: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE_Marine_generator_test_RVA_07-jan-2008.pdf

I've a 6kVA Yamaha AVR, which isn't good enough. And indeed I've heard the 'machine-gun' effect with a quality aftermarket ATS. But my Multi doesn't do that. It will try/reject, and reattempt (spaced out) a few times before giving up.

My gut feel is that your Multi is faulty. But if you have access to it's settings, try enabling 'Weak ac input'. I'd be surprised if that doesn't let the ac in. But it comes with a power factor penalty, and I can even hear that on a heater fan (well that's what I think it is).

If you have VRM graphs you could post them up too.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is to try to gather enough information to justify a warranty RMA. But give them enough to work with and justify it. Evidence, eh? :)

2 |3000