question

siletzspey avatar image
siletzspey asked

Will Victron settings persist when batteries are disconnected?

Besides cutting off loads, should a master battery switch also cut off power to say a BMV 712? I've seen claims that the Victron BMVs will loose their settings without parasitic power from the batteries.

While here, will various Victron charge controllers also loose their settings without parasitic power from the batteries?

I like the idea of everything being off-off for winter storage and maintenance, including storing LiFePO4s at 40%.

Thanks,

--tg

BMV Battery Monitorswitch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@siletzspey, there is no problem with disconnecting any modern Victron equipment from the batteries; all settings will persist until/unless manually reset.

I will also note to check with your LFP manufacturer regarding the recommended SOC for storage; most manufacturers recommend storing at no lower than 50% SOC and quite a few recommend storing at 100%. To avoid potentially causing irreversible cell damage, please follow your battery manufacturer's recommended storage procedure and SOC levels.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

siletzspey avatar image siletzspey commented ยท

Thanks Justin!

Just sharing on the SOC aspect, better or worse, feedback welcome. When I scanned Victron staff comments here along with FAQs from LifeBlue and BattleBorn, 50% SOC storage was indeed the common recommendation. Oddly BattleBorn's "winterization" video asserts 100% SOC instead. Having scanned recent scientific literature on the topic of LiFePO4 (LFP) "calendar aging" (vs "cycle aging"), high and very-very low SOCs are called out as very detrimental. My sense is that the scientific literature tilts towards less than 50% SOC as ideal (down to 15%?), but vendors sometimes suggest 50%+ out of parasitic BMS and other draws concerns that could draw the battery down to damaging levels and trigger a warranty claim.

--tg

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic