question

Petr Klus avatar image
Petr Klus asked

Inverter sizing and its effect on longevity

Hi,

I have a question regarding inverter (Quattro) sizing. If I know that the 10kVA version would suit my needs but the peak power required would be close to its maximum (I would say at around 85-90%), would it make sense to get the 15kVA version? Would it increase the unit useful life?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the big thing to consider is the operating Temperature when at peak power , as long as you can keep the area cool and or lots of airflow then you would be fine.

also when you say peak power being close to max and if this was ALL the time there then I may go for the 15Kw unit just to allow for motor start currents etc etc.

The main thing in my opinion that affects inverter life is overtemp heat and DC ripple,

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jbpohle avatar image jbpohle commented ·

Nice answer. Asked myself what is DC Ripple...

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/_media/ve.bus:4._ripple_in_a_ac_battery_system.pdf

Here's the answer I found from Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

There's probably an increase in useful life, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything dramatic. You also have a higher quiescent power draw for the 15kVA unit relative to the 10.

As Paul suggested, look at temperature management, and whether your peak power requirement is truly the peak power when looking at start up loads. I would also add to the list the likelihood of needing more power in the (near) future without needing to upgrade the Victron unit.

2 |3000