question

allan-fraser avatar image
allan-fraser asked

EasyPlus Compact 12/1600/70 has shore power but isn't charging batteries

Good evening Victron community

I moved marinas today and when I plugged into shore power I find that my batteries are not charging. Further, there’s no power (230v AC) getting to my boiler from the EasyPlus and the 230v sockets on the boat appear to be getting their power via the EasyPlus’s inverter.

I have a VE 3600 watt auto isolation transformer whose ON and 230v LEDs are lit.

There’s a breaker between the isolation transformer and the EasyPlus: it’s LED is lit (input side).

There are four 12v indicator bulbs on my boat’s main switch panel: shore power, boiler, sockets, and charger. These are fed from four 230v / 12v relays whose inputs come from the EasyPlus. With shore power off, only the sockets indicator bulb is lit (presumably from the inverter). With shore power switched on, the shore power indicator bulb also comes on but the boiler and charger bulbs remain unlit.

When I connect shore power to the EasyPlus (by switching the breaker), the shore power relay triggers but occasionally it disengages and then re-engages (every 5 minutes or so).

My initial thought was a problem with the shore power, despite the isolation transformer and the breaker looking good. So I moved the shore power lead to a different pontoon pedestal but I am getting the same results.

Any guidance on what to check next will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Allan Fraser

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
allan-fraser avatar image
allan-fraser answered ·

Problem solved but rather than delete the original question I'll explain how the problem was resolved in case anyone else encounters the problem.

In addition to asking the Victron Community I asked the shipyard that installed the VE kit. Their first suggestion was that one of the 230v AC (output) plugs was poorly connected. All three looked correctly seated but one must have been slightly out because, after giving all three a good push upwards and reconnecting shore power, everything started working correctly: charger on, inverter off and boiler and sockets working from shore power.

The boatyard's explanation for the poor connection on the 230v output side causing the EasyPlus to fail as it did is as follows. The EasyPlus monitors the current on the output side and if this is unstable it assumes an electrical leak and prevents shore power from coming through.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The plugs for AC IN and AC OUT 0 (boiler) are attached together so it they booth had a bad connection and this fits perfectly to your problem. :)

0 Likes 0 ·