question

cgentry avatar image
cgentry asked

System design help for RV

I'm trying to find out what victron products I would need for a school bus to RV boondocking build. My requirements are:

1.) Be able to plug into either 120v or 240v shore power

2.) System would always supply 120v and 240v AC output (I'm wanting to run a 240v AC mini split)

3.) highest wattage available inverter

4.) Be able to attach this to a network. Prefer hard wire ethernet, but could do wireless

Wants:

1.) auto detect and switch power from shore power or generator

2.) maintain/charge bus batteries as well as battery bank when connected to shore power/generator

3.) energy management system to detect a "hot skin" condition on the bus and shutoff power if present.

4.) While the bus engine is running, take power off of 2nd alternator I will install on bus to charge batteries. As well as monitor total amps, to keep from destroying alternator if things are running and the batteries are relatively dead.

5.) System info on a display inside bus.

Not sure what voltage for the battery bank. I think I prefer greater than 12v. 24v at least. I will probably try to use lithium based electric car battery modules. I haven't sized my solar yet, but it will be relatively big with plenty of wattage.

If Victron doesn't offer a specific feature, please let me know. I would like to use Victron in everything, but will also piece together other equipment if necessary to get the system I want.

Thanks,

Chris

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hello @cgentry,

As noted in the Community Guidelines, this forum really isn't the place for system design discussion; technical questions and design help issues will be best answered by contacting your local authorized Victron dealer, who will be able to more efficiently and accurately select the necessary Victron equipment and discuss your needs/desires as they relate to the appropriate capabilities of various Victron and associated components.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

anthem avatar image
anthem answered ·

Victron equipment can do just about all of what you are asking

1. yes

2. yes

3, Depends on whether you go 12 or 24v

4. Yes

Wants

1. yes

2. yes

3. no, but can isolate

4. yes

5. yes

But as justin said earlier - you should either do the homework or talk to a someone who is skilled and knows how to do this.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic