question

johnwbeem avatar image
johnwbeem asked

2 mppt controllers on one array

I have an motorhome with 4x 250 watt solar panels (1000 watts total) in parallel feeding a victron 50 amp (700 watt) mppt controller to charge the lithium house batteries. Since I potentially have an extra 300 watts, I was thinking of adding another 10 or 15 amps mppt charge contoller to the same solar array to charge the lead acid starting batteries. Would there be any problem doing so?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

EDIT: Hi @johnwbeem, as pointed out by astute others, I misread your post in my original response - I thought you were adding a second controller with a second set of panels, which would be fine - a second controller to the same set of panels, however, will not work. Sorry for the confusion!

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips commented ·

Really? It was my understanding you can't connect 2 MPPT's to the same array of panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image ttbb pau1phi11ips commented ·

It would appear he has misread this one.

Aside form the controllers both trying to searching for the max power point the smaller controller could be subject to over current with 1000watts

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ pau1phi11ips commented ·

Good catch, both, I did indeed misread the original post. Too many simultaneous support conversations going on at the same time. Edited to reflect, thanks for catching my error!

0 Likes 0 ·