question

mfortinberry avatar image
mfortinberry asked

mastervolt inverter as slave to victron quattro

My new boat (Lagoon 46) is coming from the factory with a (gasp) Mastervolt inverter. Smaller 2000w version. I am going to be adding a 5000w Quattro. Can I use the Mastervolt as a slave off the Quattro to provide power to plug, etc? Then use the Quattro to drive larger items like water heater, washer/dryer, etc?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Perhaps the MasterVolt will become the ApprenticeVolt.

Anyway, jokes aside. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "slave".
If they both are the same battery Voltage, then you could use them independently side by side supplying independent circuits, but I wouldn't be too happy with having "out-of-phase" circuits within close proximity of one another.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfortinberry answered ·

This help - thanks!

They would be mounted pretty far apart actually - just because of where they factory inverter is located there would not be space for the Quattro.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's more of a safety concern. The proximity of the inverters from one another is not so much of a concern, it more like if the two inverters are 180 degrees out of phase then it is possible to have 480V between two points in your galley, where the cooker is on the Quattro and the toaster is on the MasterVolt.

2 |3000

mfortinberry answered ·

I just find the color schemes don't go well together in proximity - that Mastervolt teal is just terrible....

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I know, RAL5012 blue is so much more easy on the eye! :)

2 |3000