question

dominic-read avatar image
dominic-read asked

Shore Power limiter can't be set lower

Hi.....I have been using Victron products for a long time with a shore power limiting control.

2 years ago I upgraded to a Quattro 24/8000 and this still worked fine with shore power limiter down to 16A or even 13A as nearly all the shore power outlets we come across are 16A......I have just "upgraded" to a second Quattro 24/8000 connected in parallel......now it seems that I can't dial in a lower shore power limit that 20A.......which means we can no longer plug into any available socket on our cruise route........is this right?......it also means I can't use our small back up generator......is there any way around this?.....

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Dominic Read

The lowest you can go with those Quattros is 10.0A. So with 2x, there's your 20A.

A workaround might be to disable shore input into one of the Quattros.

If that doesn't suit, try disabling Power Assist in the Quattros. The limit then won't apply, but you then won't have the batt inverter available while on shore power.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dominic-read avatar image dominic-read commented ·

Thank you ....this is what I feared......had I known before buying the second one I would not have done so......it's frustrating that with the older Quattros one could just be turned off and the other would have carried on working....now they would have to be reprogrammed any time I want to just run on one of them!

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Dominic Read

the way around this is to divide the loads over the two Quattro's, and either run them as stand alone, or as a two phase (floating second phase) installation that does not switch as a group.

This way you are flexible with the inputs, the downside is that you have to change the wiring.

3 comments
2 |3000

dominic-read avatar image dominic-read commented ·

Thank you......is there any chance that a future software upgrade will remedy this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ dominic-read commented ·

Hi @Dominic Read

No this is a hardware limit, what about the option I gave you? is that workable for you? this also gives more redundancy.

0 Likes 0 ·
dominic-read avatar image dominic-read Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I don't really get the "floating second phase"...please explain........also, I think I did read a post where somebody suggested a fix that involved altering settings so that the Quattros ignored shore power over a certain current.....is that a possibility?

0 Likes 0 ·