question

Geoffrey Schwark avatar image
Geoffrey Schwark asked

Lifepo4 configuration

I am setting up two Quattro 5kw 12vdc 200 amp chargers in a split phase configuration.

I would like some advice on the lifepo4 battery configuration.

I have 24, 240ah 3.2 Vdc lifepo4 batteries.

Before I make my bus bars, is it better to have on large bank @ 6p4s @ 1440 ah or split the bank into a two 3p4s 720ah configuration?

I will be using an Orion bms 2 for management of the bank/s

Thx for any input...

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ยท

I'd go for the 6p4s config and use some better BMS.

Quote:

The Orion BMS uses passive balancing to remove charge from the most charged cells in order to maintain the balance of the pack. The passive shunt resistors dissipate up to 200mA per cell. While that amount may seem small, that current is more than sufficient for maintaining balance in very large battery packs.

Yeah - right. And the moon is made of cheese.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Geoffrey Schwark avatar image Geoffrey Schwark commented ยท

Petajoule,

Thx for the 6p4s info. I was leaning toward this but wanted a sanity check. I realize Orion is passive. I looked at REC, electriccarpartscompany and several others. Which BMS..other than Victron's BMS might you reccommend? BTW..knowing my future battery config

thx for any future info...

0 Likes 0 ยท
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ยท

We are using the Orion BMS Jr.2 on some big packs. 40kwh modules and over 240kwh packs. All 16S, haven't had any problems, you have to be aware of keeping the bms cool as balancing can stop when bms gets really hot but other than that no problems. CAN bus interface works great.

0 Likes 0 ยท
kai avatar image
kai answered ยท

That's a lot of juice for a 12v DC bus. Is the voltage already fixed for your design? Going to a higher voltage can significantly reduce the current/cabling requirements.

In the absence of that, I second 6p4s.

1 comment
2 |3000

Geoffrey Schwark avatar image Geoffrey Schwark commented ยท

Kai, You are correct...lotta amperage. I am fully aware of that as I did not want to play with raising the voltage. I am in an rv and will be using 12 vdc significantly accross the board. Did not want to fiddle with rasing the voltage although I realize I will be yanking some major amperage off the battery bank. I am fully versed in this subject. thx for the reccommendation and the balance and check....

0 Likes 0 ยท