question

Gary Pacey avatar image
Gary Pacey asked

CAN bus battery - controlling external loads and charge sources?

When using CAN bus batteries such as BYD and Pylontech with inbuilt BMS, is there a mechanism to have an effective "charge enable" and "load enable" signal from a Venus device to shut down external charge sources and loads before imminent battery shut down. Use Relay 1 and Relay 2.

An example might be a vessel where non-essential loads could be shut down before battery shutdown. Or disabling an alternator charge source.

Might this be part of DVCC? The system would, of course, have a BMV device to know net battery current.

DVCC
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gary Pacey avatar image Gary Pacey commented ·

I have another system where this is required. A bank of Pylontech batteries connects to a Venus GX. There is no AC/Multiplus - DC only. There are 3 DC-DC converters that are load controlled by AUX 1 relay from Venus using the Generator Control (reverse logic).

The client wants to add wind generation. I need to provide on/off control of the wind generator when PylonTech commands to stop charging.

As mentioned before, it would be great if we could have a virtual Load Enable and Charge Enable control mapped to AUX1 and AUX2. Could someone in the Modifications forum handle this as a custom add-on? It would be good also to have remote control of the wind generator to stop it in high wind conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·
1595052147313.png (52.1 KiB)
1595048593175.png (54.0 KiB)
1 Answer
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

Hi Gary, Simply use the programmable relay assistant. Set the flag based on SOC %. Then switch off AC output 2 based on flag. Cheers

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gary Pacey avatar image Gary Pacey commented ·

Thanks, Bruce, That would be fine for a system where the loads are AC only from the Multiplus. For a system with separate DC loads (and charge sources), I was hoping for a facility in Venus to control the Venus relays based on battery SOC%.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources