question

mkc avatar image
mkc asked

Phoenix 12/1200 zero load power too high

I just bought the non-VE.direct version of the Phoenix 12/1200 inverter and found that it consumes a steady 1.3 amps (~16 watts) with no load. The owners manual states the no load consumption is 8 watts. That is a pretty significant difference. Otherwise the inverter works fine. Is there a problem with my inverter or is the manual just wrong?

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@mkc my point is that, since the technical data specifies 8-10w quiescent draw, and you're measuring 6w over that using an imprecise measuring technique and an imprecise instrument, any statement that the specs are wrong must obviously be taken with a grain of salt. Field-condition measurements will obviously, for a number of reasons, often be different than laboratory-condition measurements.

For the record, my own measurement of a similar unit with a properly calibrated Fluke placed inline with the POS lead did show ~11w quiescent draw rather than the stated 8-10, but that's well within spec. Bottom line: given the measurement techniques being used, I think that you neither have a defective unit nor are the published specs inaccurate; the field conditions and your field testing equipment are simply different from the lab conditions and equipment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@mkc, how are you determining the zero-load draw as stated? Are all other loads disconnected while measuring -if using, say, a battery monitor to measure- or are you using a clamp meter on the actual supply cable, or some other method?

The Phoenix non-VE series is generally listed as 8-10w quiescent draw, so of course if there is anything else at all connected to the batteries, even tiny loads like status LEDs or etc., it's very easy to rack up another few watts on a load calculation - thus why I ask how you're measuring the inverter's draw.

2 |3000

mkc avatar image
mkc answered ·

Nothing connected to the inverter and using a clamp meter.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@mkc, what brand clamp meter, and did you make sure to zero it before measuring? A difference of ~6w is relatively minuscule, particularly when not measuring directly (clamp meters are not great for small current) that unless it's a properly calibrated and zeroed Fluke, I would trust the published specs over the clamp meter reading. If you connected a good DMM inline with the POS connection, I suspect you'd get a reading much closer to the published specs.

2 |3000

mkc avatar image
mkc answered ·

The issue is not with my clamp meter. I just checked the calibration and it was about 1.5% off at a 1 amp current, so that cannot account for the difference between the spec at 8 watts and the measured 16 watts.

2 |3000

mkc avatar image
mkc answered ·

The spec is 8 watts, not 8-10 watts. Actual usage is 16 watts within the 1.5% error. There is no way that is within spec and looking at many other questions here about the same issue with various Victron inverters, there is a problem with Victron honestly stating the specs in manuals and datasheets.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic