question

andreww avatar image
andreww asked

Lost the ability to login as root to CCGX

I used to be able to login to my CCGX over my LAN, having followed the instructions at https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access

Subsequently, I updated the firmware on the CCGX, and I have since learned that firmware upgrades wipe the root password. So I set about creating a new root password following the same instructions. I seem to be able to set the password (using the physical CCGX, not remotely) but when I try to use the password to log on over SSH (using Putty), I get "Access denied".

Here are the details of what I am doing:

* At the CCGX, navigate to Settings, General. See that Access level is already set to "Superuser"

* Navigate down to "Set root password", press the centre buttons, and then use the "up" and "right" buttons to create a simple password, such as 'abcd'

* Press the centre button followd by the "down" button. The password is displayed, as per photo below.

* Elsewhere on the same LAN, run Putty with the local IP address of the CCGX. At the ssh prompt Login as, respond "root". SSH then prompts for password. Enter the same password as set up on the CCGX. SSH responds "Access denied".

Tried it several times. Same result every time. Re-booting makes no difference

I do notice that when I go back to the screen where the password is entered, it is showing as blank. But perhaps it is just hiding it for security.

I have also tried changing the Access level away from Superuser and then back to Superuser, using exactly the process described at https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access but that made no difference.

NB I am not actually using abcd as the password - that's just for the purpose of describing the problem.

The annoying thing is, it used to work (prior to firmware upgrade).

CCGX Color Control
20200130-160816.jpg (137.5 KiB)
accessdenied.png (17.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jeroen avatar image
jeroen answered ·

The password must be at least 6 characters long. There should be a popup mentioning that the entered password is too short.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

AFAIK the password should not be displayed anymore after you set the password. Instead a short popup notification should display, saying that the root password is changed.

2 |3000

andreww avatar image
andreww answered ·

Many thanks for the answers. I am now able to log on. The actual behaviour on my system is that if you enter a password and the CCGX likes it, then the password disappears from view as soon as you scroll down to the next line (eg the SSH on LAN line). If you enter a password and the CCGX doesn't like it, then it remains on view (as per my photo) when you scroll down. There is absolutely no pop-up on my system in either situtation. I discovered all this by trial and error.

2 |3000