question

Duncan avatar image
Duncan asked

BMV wiring question

Hi

Just want to clear up a niggling worry about my installation. I have a basic solar CC, battery bank, inverter, BMV and other DC loads. The system is an isolated system, no car or boat chassis as ground.

What side of the BMV does the CC negative connect to?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi Dunk,

" What side of the BMV does the CC negative connect to?"

All loads and chargers negative wiring goes to the Load side of the shunt.

The only thing connected to the battery side, is the battery negative.

shunt.jpg (32.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Duncan avatar image
Duncan answered ·

Thanks

Here is a crude diagram. I think this is how you describe it. It looks to me that the load circuits could run without going through the shunt but through the CC when the sun is shining. Not sure if this is anything to worry about but thr CC and BMV eill show different readings. Does this circuit have any problems?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Looks ok shunt wise.

Move the fuses/breakers closer to the battery, to protect the cable in the case of a short on them.

0 Likes 0 ·
Duncan avatar image Duncan klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Load fuses not shown in correct location, near bus bars. Wires all less than 1 M. Going to add proper fuse block and inline MC4 fuses on array. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Duncan avatar image
Duncan answered ·

Does this layout work?

2 |3000