question

doug401 avatar image
doug401 asked

Mppt 100/20 voltage spikes every 10 minutes on graph

I have 6 of these controllers. For 2 years this one controller has always gone schizophrenic every 10 minutes. Before I replace it I thought I'd post some screen shots. I suppose it could be a bad panel, but my guess is its the controller. The pic on the right is a 13 minute run. The left is a close up at 3 minutes. Exact same pattern every time.

MPPT Controllers
star1.png (268.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ยท

Every 10 minutes the MPPT performs some power sweeps to determine the optimal power point - to extract the most power from the panels.

When this occurs PV voltage and current is varied over the operating range to find the highest power output (Vร—I=P).

This is normal and should always occur when the MPPT is in max power mode (not limited).

If you have several MPPT's it could be that the others are already power limited at that time, so don't perform the MPP sweep.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elvis avatar image elvis commented ยท
Thank you.

This was tripping me out.

It happens on both my 150/35 & 100/20

0 Likes 0 ยท