question

vermi-aust avatar image
vermi-aust asked

Multiplus 24 Will not charge batteries - No LED lit.

Hello All,

Ive recently installed a Multiplus compact 24 2000 50-30 230V and have found it will not power up and charge off of its diesel powered genset at 240V 50Hz . It previosly worked when powered up on the bench on a different set of batteries at same voltage.

No alarm LED no Charge LED lit 240V supply is ok and output is connected correctly to 24 battery bank .

Its installed as remote power - i have no way to update firmware or communicate to the charger.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi @Vermi-Aust

This is typical of a Multi rejecting the quality of the genny power. No notifications happen, just clicks off the transfer relays, might reattempt a few times, then no charge. If you're nearby you'll hear the relays, but nought else shows.

It's described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Of course you'll need comms to change things, so that'll be an issue for you.

If it's a large enough genny, try applying a fair load to it directly before switching on the Multi charger. Might help soften any gen issues from rapid load application on it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vermi-aust avatar image vermi-aust commented ยท

Thanks for your reply John. The genset does not load up at all when connected to the Charger.

Wondering if anoyone may bea ble to give me some clarity on what communication cable i need to talk to the unit with the free to download software ? We did not purchase any manufacturer comms cables when we purchased the unit

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ vermi-aust commented ยท

@Vermi-Aust, you'll need an MK3-USB Interface and a spare RJ-45 UTP cable to talk to the unit with your computer using VictronConnect.

That being said, it won't do you any good if the unit isn't powered on. Have you quite positively checked the DC connections, including the POS fuse at the battery and everything else? It sounds to me like, when you switched to a different battery bank, either something was connected incorrectly or the batteries are bad (if LFP, perhaps BMS shut down?) or there's a blown fuse on the DC input; lack of DC input is the only reason I've seen for a Multi not turning on.

0 Likes 0 ยท
vermi-aust avatar image
vermi-aust answered ยท

It will power up when switched to inverter mode , if when switched on i have the output DC C/B isolated the unit will alarm. Is only when the unit is powered up on 240V and selected charger only the amber charge LED does not illuminate and no change in output DC voltage or current is measured.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Aha, I see... in reading the original post I thought it was completely dead to the world. Excellent, then, you'll be able to talk to it with the MK3!

0 Likes 0 ยท