question

jameswade avatar image
jameswade asked

No 120 VAC at AC1 on MultiPlus

I'm installing a MultiPlus 12/3000/120 in my RV trailer.

I'm testing as I connect things - the first test after wiring up the fuse and battery disconnect is to be sure that it's inverting and making 120 VAC. But no 120 VAC present at the AC1 terminals.

I have the MK3 USB adapter and tried to download VEConfigure, but what I got was Victron Connect. It seems to be working and allowed me to update to the latest firmware though.

Victron Connect does say that the inverter is inverting. I don't have any power going in the AC In terminals yet.

I don't have AES on. Should I see 120 VAC on the AC1 terminals or do they need to see a load?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ยท

Ok, I can confirm that you don't need a load, but you do need to be clamping down on some wires.

You won't measure voltage at the screws or even at the bottom of these terminal blocks - you have to be clamping down on some wires.

All fixed now - just before I was about to remove it and all of the other Victron stuff in this project and send it back. Victron, you need better support!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ยท

AES is not enabled so the inverter shouldn't be in search mode or making modified sine waves...

2 |3000

sglad avatar image
sglad answered ยท

Try plugging a load into an A/C outlet and turn it on.

2 |3000

jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ยท

I was just removing it to send back to Amazon since I'm not getting Victron support.

But I'll try that. I've never installed an inverter before that required a load to make 120 VAC...

But I've wasted so much much time on this already I'll try this out.

2 |3000

jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ยท

Good idea to try! Either the inverter needs to see a load or you can't measure voltage on the tops of the AC1 screws...

Glad to know that I don't have to pack up the inverter and send it back!

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ยท

Looks like from your photo you dont have the negative cable grounded to your rv? Is this the case? Victron required the neg be grounded.

2 comments
2 |3000

jameswade avatar image jameswade commented ยท

Try to stay on topic - this isn't connected to anything yet - this is a bench test so far...

0 Likes 0 ยท
Tom avatar image Tom jameswade commented ยท

I think the negative battery cable and AC gound must go to an earth ground to work and not get electrocuted (even bench test) Others can chime in on this to clarify and confirm.

I have a Multiplus 24/3000 50-70 120Ac in my RV and since i cant connect to an earth ground both my green AC ground wires and battery DC negative are grounded to the cab frame. My set up works fine. I dont think you have a malfunctioning unit.

0 Likes 0 ยท