question

lui-mara avatar image
lui-mara asked

MultiPlus 24v/5k/120a stopped accepting generator power

Hi,

First time poster. I have been using my Multiplus mainly as a battery charger successfully for about 4 months. I bought unit second hand and didn't realise battery charge settings could be changed via dip switches. The settings were such that at peak charge flow I tonged up to 70amps on the 24v side. This high charge rate was occasionally overloading my 3kva inverter generator causing the generator supply to fail, thus causing the Multiplus to cut in and out quite frequently from ac in. I suspect this has damaged a sensor or pcb component as now when I connect generator supply, the Multiplus senses the generator supply and after the set time attempts to transfer to ac in but immediately switches back to inverter mode.

I would ultimately like to diagnose this fault from home and order parts as the unit is working fine as inverter and I am currently powering my home off it.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Model is PMP245021010

Serial is HQ14489ZIND

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Lui.

This is more likely to be a generator issue than your Multi, which is particular about what it will accept. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Of course this goes beyond dipswitches, so you may at least have to invest in a MK3 adaptor to do it properly. VE.Configure software is really needed to set this up.

If you can hear the transfer relays clicking on attempt/reject, then that's likely the issue.

Please have a look through that and see what you think. Come back..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Lui Mara

This you'll have to take up with your dealer, some dealers / distributors are also repair centers, only repair centers can help you with parts, but please keep in mind it is up to them to decide if they are willing to do that or want the unit to be fixed by them.

Also, a good installer can connect a temporary replacement when your unit is defective. (and knows how to test if the unit is indeed defective or if settings are a problem)

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

2 |3000