question

mecheng85 avatar image
mecheng85 asked

Smartsolar MPPT 100/50 and BMV-712

Hello Victron Community!

I've recently finished building a system for my off-grid cabin, and was in the process of testing it out today. I am running a Smartsolar MPPT 100/50 charge controller with a BMV-712, as well as a Multiplus 120v 3000VA inverter/charger. The batteries are Crown 6CRV220 AGM (qty 4) in a series-parallel arrangement for a total of 440Ah @ 12VDC.

Today, I was testing the system with one panel connected (Renogy 100W). The inverter/charger, when connected to Mains, was able to successfully reach float....however the MPPT never progressed past Absorb.

I have my battery settings set (in both the BMV and MPPT) to 440Ah, 14.52 Absorb @ 6 hr max, 13.2 Float. The batteries charged to about 13.55v and sat there consistently.

Any thoughts on why the MPPT would not proceed to Float?

Thanks!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @MechEng85

If you're using an adaptive algorithm in your mppt, let it see an overnight cycle. These things have a memory of sorts, and depending on how you connected it during commissioning, it may have determined a need to deviate from what you expect. An uninterrupted sleep should sort it.

If it's saying Absorb when it hasn't reached the necessary V, then that may be another issue.

You could try to simulate a new day by powering it down completely from both pv and batt sides, then reconnecting batt first.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.