question

melvin avatar image
melvin asked

Sequence for turning Quattros on/off

I have two Victron Quattro 8VA units installed in a marine application with one acting as a master and one as a slave. When turning these units on and off is there a preferred sequence I should use? Both simultaneously? Master first and then slave? Slave first and then master?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Switching on/off multiple units should be done with a VE.bus remote control like the "digital multi control" or a GX device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Melvin if you don't have a remote panel / GX device, then it's best to try to switch them simultaneous. It's no problem if they don't switch exactly at the same time, but you can get error messages.

1 comment
2 |3000

melvin avatar image melvin commented ·

Yes, I do have a remote GX. I will turn them off from there in the future. Thank you for the prompt replies.

0 Likes 0 ·
billk avatar image
billk answered ·

Just curious if this information is somewhere in the documentation and I've missed it.

If it isn't than one has to wonder, why isn't it and how many other mistakes is it possible to make with Victron equipment simply because the information on hot to use them isn't ready available.

Don't misunderstand, I've been off the grid for over 20 years, gone through several different brands of inverters, charge controllers, and such. I am tremdendously impressed with the quailty of the Victron equipment while at the same time totally frustrated at the lack of comprehensive information on the care and feeding of same.

1 comment
2 |3000

There's really nothing to go wrong, only a possible error entry when there is a GX device connected.

Multiphase / parallel systems usually have a remote control panel and/or a GX device connected, and this than is the preferred / easy method of switching between modes.

For Big systems, Victron provides training to installers (and even allows serious users to join as far as I know).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

https://professional.victronenergy.com/learn/events/

0 Likes 0 ·
melvin avatar image
melvin answered ·

Good point. I read through the manual and I didnt see this information either but I may also have missed it.

2 |3000