question

sunsense avatar image
sunsense asked

Conditional AC input control not switching to grid on low voltage

Multiplus 12/3000 V465

Using Victron Connect v5.16

I set the Conditional AC input control on and set the voltage for 12.65V, but when the voltage drops below that, it fails to switch back to the grid.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sunsense avatar image
sunsense answered ·

OK - I have now used the vfconfigure v90.04.207 (latest).

I set the virtual switch to 'ignore ac input: vs on = do not ignore, vs off = ignore'

I set the on and off high for testing as I don't want to wait all day.

vs on = when udc lower than 13.40v aka do NOT ignore ac input

vs off = when udc higher than 13.70v aka ignore ac input

I sent it to the multiplus, selected 'get settings' to confirm it all took and waited for a bit.

DC is now 13.20v. It still hasn't switched to the AC in. aka the Grid.

Any ideas why this isn't working ???

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sunsense avatar image
sunsense answered ·

I just had a Grid/L1 connection, and thought wow, it just started working. Then a few seconds later, the Grid/L1 side turned off, even though the battery voltage is now at 13.1V.

Bizarre behavior.

So it's still not working.

Do Victron techs ever frequent this forum ?

Or do I need to contact them directly ?

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @sunsense

Please first try without assistants / virtual switch if AC is accepted, if everything works correctly, try advanced settings.

2 |3000

sunsense avatar image
sunsense answered ·

The AC/Grid works during normal use, as does the charger.

But I am trying to use it as solar/battery preferred. Then when the battery is low, charge it to x volts from the AC/Grid.

11 comments
2 |3000

Ok, now if you share the assistants (or virtual switch) settings here (screenshots), then we can help you to get things working.

0 Likes 0 ·
sunsense avatar image sunsense Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Attached are the 4 screen grabs of the VS.

0 Likes 0 ·
victron4.png (277.1 KiB)
victron3.png (297.2 KiB)
victron2.png (291.3 KiB)
victron1.png (235.5 KiB)
sunsense avatar image sunsense sunsense commented ·

Does anyone see a problem with the pictures.

It's been as low as 12.3v without switching back to the Grid, but it's sunny and the 150V/35A solar charger is bringing it up.

0 Likes 0 ·
sunsense avatar image sunsense sunsense commented ·

As an add. When I select 'don not use VS', It immediately starts drawing from the Grid, as i have the charger set to on at 35A. See attached screen grabs.

0 Likes 0 ·
victron6.png (250.7 KiB)
victron5.png (204.3 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sunsense commented ·

The strange thing is: 'Ignore AC' = 0 so it is not ignoring AC according to the VE.bus monitor.

does that ever change to '1' when you tweak the settings?

0 Likes 0 ·
sunsense avatar image sunsense Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

When the voltage exceeds the VS off voltage setting, the number changes to 1.

Can I downgrade to see if anything changes /

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sunsense commented ·

Hi @sunsense

1 means 'ignore' (as far as I know)

what I would do is try the same with an assistant, I've never used the virtual switch myself, assistants give more control.

this is a good read:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

0 Likes 0 ·

I looked at that before and it's overly complicated. But switching to something else doesn't fix the original problem.

For example, after selecting self consumption hub 2 v3., it wants to know my battery, but the lifepo4 option are ve-bms and 2 signal bms. I Neither option is suitable. Plus, in the middle at policy, deprecated is stamped over the text.

So as you have said " I've never used the virtual switch myself," who at Victron looks after the multiplus that I can talk to.

Am I the only person having this issue ?

Or are you releasing software without doing line by line tests to verify everything is working.

I am beginning to regret buying all this equipment.

0 Likes 0 ·

What is the reason for not using ESS? that is made for utilizing solar power (self consumption) and replaces the old 'hub' systems.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

0 Likes 0 ·

Just the obvious...

I don't want to feed into the Grid.

There is no USA option anyway.

So let's go back to the original question. Why isn't 'Virtual Switch' working ?

0 Likes 0 ·
victron7.png (211.2 KiB)

Understood!

I'll look into it further (need to test it on a spare unit here)

0 Likes 0 ·