question

luke-w avatar image
luke-w asked

Limiting Orion TR Smart 12 12 30 current

I have fitted a 12 12 30 (Smart) to my caravan to charge the house battery and help with the fridge load using the tow vehicles alternator.

The Smart version is great with programmable voltage sensing capability but 30a is just too high for the wiring I have and the distance it travels. I believe the 18a equivalent would be ideal but they don't appear to be available at the moment (at least in Australia).

Is it possible to cap the output amperage?

Thanks in advance.

current limit
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luke-w avatar image luke-w commented ·

Thanks WKirby.

Is it possible that future firmware could have an option to limit the output?

I have enquired about the 12 12 18 Orion TR Smart through a couple of sales centres in Australia and they have advised they are currently not available (no timeline given for availability) and that Victron are advising that the 12 12 30 is an adequate replacement - which in my application, I am finding it isn't.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom luke-w commented ·

Have you considered the older product non smart Orion Tr 12 12 9 or 12 12 18?

0 Likes 0 ·
luke-w avatar image luke-w Tom commented ·

Thanks Tom,

I have - but there is quite a difference in functionality.

Hopefully there will be word on the availability of the Orion TR Smart 12 12 18 soon, or even better, a firmware update that allows for current output limits.

0 Likes 0 ·
koh avatar image koh luke-w commented ·

My Orion TR Smart 12 12 18 charger does not limit the current to 18 amps

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/50206/orion-tr-smart-1212-18-charging-current-greater-th.html

0 Likes 0 ·
rogerclarkau avatar image rogerclarkau luke-w commented ·

I just bought a 12|12 30 and presumed that I would be able to configure it to limit the current if 30A was too much for my alternator.

It's a shame to find out that there is no way to limit the current.

Perhaps Victron could consider adding this option in a future firmware update.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Unfortunately, it is not possible to adjust the output current limit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic