question

ripper avatar image
ripper asked

5V supply available? Maybe an Orion for the future? Suggestion

To run Arduino(s) or Raspberry Pi(s) for logging and distributing purposes in the switch cabinet quite powerful and stable DC DC converters are desirable. A single Pi wants 3 A, an Arduino Mega driving dozens of relays possibly more. I am sick and tired of using remote control car equipment which sometimes have a wide input range but dont last very long, get really hot or have a not good enough voltage so regular brown outs happen.

More professional equipment has then AC input which I don't want to have available at all times. DC Battery current obviously I have available.

Have I overlooked anything Victron putting out 5V slightly adjustable at maybe 5 to 10 A? Ideally with a wide range input of 12 to 48V but I will gladly accept current Orion steps so in my case 24/5 - 5 galvanic insulated? If it then had regular clamps and also full power USB ports, that would be epic...

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

Massive +1

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I like to use the Traco Power power supplies for this type of job.

https://www.tracopower.com/products/browse-by-category/show/dc-dc-converters/low-power-off-board-modules/tmdc-60/1/

Models with 5V, 5A output and either 9-36V or 18-75V input.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ripper

I always use industrial (din-rail mounted) dc-dc converters for this use.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic