question

pmarine avatar image
pmarine asked

Multiple BMV-712 Units - Single Venus GX

Hi

I have an installation with a MPPT 110|50 Solar Controller connected to a Venus GX via VE.Direct. I would like to add a battery monitor to this installation however the 24VDC battery bank comprises two banks. Due to wiring and regulation constraints I am going to need to install two BMV-712 monitors and shunts. Can anyone please tell me the best way to connect these two monitors to the GX with the remaining ports I have.

I also noticed in other posts that only one bank would be able to be displayed via the GX using VRM or local access. Is my interpretation of these posts correct ?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The BMV is designed to monitor the primary battery bank in the system. A system cannot be comprised of more than one battery bank. No matter how many batteries are in the primary bank, it is still only one bank and must be monitored by a single BMV.
A load such as a simple lamp or a even a MultiPlus can only be connected to one battery bank, so a second battery bank would be auxiliary to the main battery bank.

It's possible to connect more than one BMV; it would show up in the menu and you'd be able to read the values from it, but only one of them can be the system battery monitor and only one will show up on the main display.
You'd need a VE.Direct to USB dongle to connect a third VE.Direct device to the VenusGX.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

(Moderator's note: answer edited for clarity-JFC)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmarine avatar image pmarine commented ·

Thank you for your help WKirby.

0 Likes 0 ·