question

slowdown avatar image
slowdown asked

How to read "active SOC limit" using Modbus TCP in ESS (Modification)

Hello,

perhaps I'm more lucky here (Question also in Questions & Answers):

For a control with iobroker I need the value of the "active SOC limit" which is displayed in the ESS section of VenusGX. Unfortunately, I cannot find the parameter as Modbus TCP register in the Excel table.

Is there a way to add a register?

Thanks!

ESSModbus TCPmodifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
slowdown avatar image
slowdown answered ·

Found the wanted parameter as dbus-path in
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus :
/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit <- Output of the BatteryLife algorithm (read only)

So i hope there is a way to read it with modbustcp.
I'm not a programmer so i dont want do manipulate the Venus GX.
Even there seems to be a description at:
https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus_modbustcp

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

slowdown avatar image
slowdown answered ·

No idea?
Is there a way to request it for the next Venus firmware?

2 |3000

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

Hi, I use ioBroker too.
It is register 2901

1582133176594.png (3.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

acs avatar image acs commented ·
"Minimum SoC (unless grid fails)" "/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit" is available through ModbusTCP on 2901 but "Active SOC Limit" "/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit" is not. Active SOC limit is explained in the BatteryLife section of the ESS manual. It would be great if "Active SOC Limit" was available through ModbusTCP. Hopefully this can be added in a future version of Venus.
0 Likes 0 ·
slowdown avatar image
slowdown answered ·

Thanks for your answers.

I have already experimented with register 2901. If the SOC limit is limited by the ESS, the calculated value of the energy content of my battery is not correct. (I'm using a BYD Battery Box LV 7.0)

I think the value for active SOC limit is dynamic, ESS minimum SOC is a static setting. I want to calculate the energy (kWh) that is released for use depending on the last SOC history in the ESS. This can sometimes be less than the calculation with an ESS-Minimum SOC value.

I would be grateful if the value becomes available with a future version of the VenusGX firmware.

2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

I have been wondering this too, would like to have Home Assistant logging this for graphs.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Modbus TCP Basics

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.