question

hoverjocki avatar image
hoverjocki asked

Independent Mppt Controller issue

I have 2 solar panels each with its own 100/30 controller. When I did the initial setup and connected the system each panel corrected its charge and matched the other by 6-10 watts.
The next morning when the sun came up one charger became the charging unit and the other went to float. This happened two mornings in a row.
im confused as to why this is happening or have I done something wrong?

I have attached my setup

Any help would be gratefully received.

Justin

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Hoverjocki, check the breaker between the controller and battery on your port controller. Even in float, a controller will basically never show 0.0A unless there's something else amiss in the system.

What brand are those breakers? If they're not Bussman brand, throw them both away and replace them... the knockoff brands are known for weird behavior. Also check your crimps and connections along that line; make sure the terminals are tightly secured onto the wiring at the SCC, then check every crimp and connection up and down (controller to battery as well as controller to PV) the line, as a loose connection will often show voltage but still not permit current to pass.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoverjocki avatar image
hoverjocki answered ·

The ones after the controllers are blueseas circuit breakers but I have 2 generic waterproof ones to disconnect the panels. Today I left the chargers off all day and let the batteries run down. I powered up the controllers first at the same time then the panels at the same time. Both chargers read the same power usage the rest of the day. I even shut down both panels again and turned them back on at different times and they equalized out showing the same power draw.
I have attached pictures of the circuit breakers in my system. I will replace the ones for sure from the panels to the chargers. Will blueseas breakers be ok, they seem to have the 285 number on them as the Bussman or just use the Bussman?

When I run my engine the alternator will charge my batteries too, will that effect the system too?

Thanks a lot.

5 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Okay yep, the "Blue Sea" ones are just Buss 285 breakers in Blue Sea retail packaging... you're good with those. Definitely replace the two generic ones though.

...and, my mistake in my original answer - it was the port controller showing 0.0A being put into the battery, not the starboard controller. I'll correct that momentarily. It appears though that when you took those screenshots, 0.0A was being sent into your battery from the port controller... which means that either one of the breakers was popped, or a connection/crimp/MC4 connector was bad on that and wasn't allowing current to flow.

Yes, your batteries being more charged from other sources will mean that less current flows into them from the solar charge controllers, but anytime you see 0.0A from a controller during daylight hours it means that something's amiss... even on fully-charged batteries you'll still usually see 0.3A or something, a little trickle at least, as long as the sun is out.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

With multiple charge sources, I don't expect a remnant 'trickle' from any if their V targets have been met. The units work independently, and even with identical target V's set, can differ due to slightly different temp comp, wire resistance, or suchlike.

If the overall V programme is being achieved, that's what's needed. If one drops to 0 A, so be it. Usually signifies a good solar day. Can always be tested by dropping the dominant one, and the lazy one should then step up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ceki Gabay avatar image Ceki Gabay JohnC ♦ commented ·

Dear JohnC,

Do you realize that Hoverjocki’s question is the same of mine which you answered few days ago. There is one more thread within couple of weeks. This makes three of us.
My setup is two years old. This is new thing I am experiencing. Although two mppts have same charge algorithm selected they are behaving different. Three different person says the same thing in different words. But the case is same. I suspect something change with latest firmware on mppts.

I stopped to worry after your explanations. Hoverjocki you can refer the answers in my thread which are very helpful.

Regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Ceki Gabay commented ·

This 'sync' issue has been around since the beginning of this forum. Some people actually got 'excited' about it. I personally viewed it as a non-issue, except perhaps for Abs & Float status sync. Victron said they'd investigate, and in Dec '19 released 1.47 firmware, and said sync available for just the Smartsolar models.

Maybe you've experienced something related? But I've not spotted any feedback on it either, good or bad. Does anybody use it, or found value?

If you could nail down your observations specifically then perhaps the developers could take a further look.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

@JohnC hmmm I see your point, but with one controller still putting over 11A to the battery, the other controller -even in float- I would expect to be delivering a trickle if there's not a connection error. In daylight hours I am suspicious of ever seeing 0.0A from a controller... 0.3, sure, but not 0.0

0 Likes 0 ·