question

frankh avatar image
frankh asked

Using a SmartSolar MPPT 100|30 with a Common Port BMS and LiFePo4 batteries.

I need a definitive answer from someone that really knows what they are talking about.

Itโ€™s always being bandied about that the solar panels must be disconnected before the batteries, otherwise the Victron SmartSolar MPPT Controller will be damaged. Well, I find it pretty hard to believe that this unit is designed to self-destruct if its outputs are disconnected from the battery by any means; fuse, switch or otherwise. before the solar panels are disconnected.

I want to use a common port BMS with a LiFePo4 battery setup, and from what Iโ€™ve read, the BMS will break the battery connection to the MPPT at some point which, in turn, will damage the MPPT charge controller.

I do know the manual for the SmartSolar MPPT 100|30 states โ€œFirst: connect the battery. Second: connect the solar array (when connected with reverse polarity, the controller will heat up but will not charge the battery). Torque: 1,6 Nmโ€ but, scratching around the net I found the website pkys.com, and in their right-up on the Victron SmartSolar they state โ€œYou need to make the battery connections first so it knows what battery voltage you have. In the programming you can tell it the battery voltage and then in the future it won't matter what order you make the connectionsโ€. Now is this statement correct? If it is correct all this stuff about damaging the charge controller is just people talking parrot fashion, and there is no problem using a common port BMS on this charge controller; so long as one does the initial battery voltage programming of the charge controller first!

Any engineers responsible for designing these Victron charge controllers on this board??????????

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ยท

Why the new topic?
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/38304/using-a-smartsolar-mppt-10030-with-a-common-port-b-1.html

Disconnecting the battery under full charging can damage the MPPT.
I think that is not a Victron exclusive problem you will have this with any other brand too.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frankh avatar image frankh commented ยท

I don't think I said or implied that Victron had any sort of exclusive problem, Victron is simply the brand of controller that I have in my possession right now. And as for your statement "you will have this with any other brand too", can I take it that you have purchased other brands and tested them personally? I think not.

Your answer was not an answer but a complete and utter waste of time!

At least Guy Stewart made a good effort giving me some pointers and things to chew over; unlike your two liner effort.

0 Likes 0 ยท