question

apswoodwork avatar image
apswoodwork asked

Leoch Pure Lead Batteries

Hi.

Iโ€˜m new to this having just upgraded to a bigger camper and have added a 250w Panasonic solar panel, a Victron 100/20 smart controller and a BMV 712 monitor.

Now Iโ€™ve added 2 Leoch Pure Lead Carbon 100ah batteries, but Iโ€™m lost on the settings I should use; itโ€™s all a bit confusing at first.

Any advice would be welcome.

Andy

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ยท

Do you have the data sheets for the batteries in question?

0 Likes 0 ยท
1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@Apswoodwork, the settings on the charge controller will be determined by your battery manufacturer's recommended settings. Your batteries may or may not have come with a user manual, but you can usually find the recommended charge settings on the manufacturer's website (might take some poking around) and then you can set your MPPT's charging voltages based on the manufacturer's data.

For the BMV, settings are determined by how you have your batteries connected and their native voltages. If they're 12v nominal and you have them connected in parallel for 200Ah at 12v, then you just need to enter 200Ah as your battery capacity in the BMV; if you have them in series for 100Ah @ 24v, then enter 100Ah in the BMV. Most other settings can remain at default since they're still Pb batteries, though I've seen some documentation to suggest that you can lower the Peukert exponent to 1.19% with Lead Carbon batteries... I don't know many people using them yet, though, so I'm not sure the Peukert for these has really been nailed down yet.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ttbb avatar image ttbb commented ยท

14.1-14.4v absorption

13.62v float

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ ttbb commented ยท

@TTbb per Leoch, actually 14.1 - 14.6 with 13.5-13.8 float. Not a massive difference perhaps, but we do appreciate accuracy here on the forums.

0 Likes 0 ยท
ttbb avatar image ttbb Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

That came form Leoch them self

0 Likes 0 ยท
ttbb avatar image ttbb Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท
0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ ttbb commented ยท

Well I'll be dipped... I have an emailed datasheet from them showing what I posted above, and then indeed if I go out to their site now and look up the model and pull the (theoretically identical) datasheet directly, I get what you posted.

So bloody hard to get straight specs from China sometimes :-/

0 Likes 0 ยท