question

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos asked

Orion-RT-Smart DC-DC engine run detection when installed in camping trailer.

Hi all

I want to install a Orion smart DC-DC in my camping trailer to charge the Blue Nova LiFePo4 battery from the vehicle alternator while driving.

I see on the data sheet the low cut out voltage is 7V which is way too low for my application, I want it to charge when the vehicle engine is running and disconnect when the engine gets switched off. How does the engine running detection work on this device, if it works on vibration then I guess it has to be installed in the engine bay in order to work?

Installing it in the engine bay won't work for me, I want to install it in the back of the trailer right next to the battery.

How can I get this to work, charge while vehicle is running and disconnect when vehicle gets switched off?

Thanks

Nick

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Install the VictronConnect app on your phone/tablet/laptop there you have a demo library of all smart devices. There you can look at the possible settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniel D avatar image
Daniel D answered ·

Hi bigboy529,

You can use this schematic : On/Off by D+ when the engine running and OFF via the BMS

orion-smart.jpg (74.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic