question

geomz avatar image
geomz asked

How mppt controllers recover in ESS shutdown

I have 2 100/30 Smartsolar MPPTs integrated with a Quattro 5000 into an ESS, running on 24V lithium batteries.

I am not onsite at the moment and have an urgent question.

Solar at the site has been weak for days and there is a possibility that the batteries will deplete to the point of shutting down. My question is, if the inverter shuts down because of low voltage, will the mppt controllers also stop charging during the day because they’re slaved to the ESS or will they resume charging “headless”, so to speak, when the sun comes up?

I’m trying to figure out if I should remove ESS before that happens (remote config) so the batteries charge again or if I can leave things as is.

Note: the CCGX has a small amount of backup power that might also lose power overnight.

Thanks in advance for any help!

MPPT ControllersESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Geomz

If there is no grid power, you should always make sure the GX device remains powered. This is very easy: make sure the inverter(s) shut down at a SOC where there is plenty of capacity left for the GX device to remain powered.

If it doesn't happen often, you could also shut down the inverter now as a precaution, instead of changing the settings remotely.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

geomz avatar image geomz commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel for your prompt response! You’re right I do want to get the GX powered directly from the 24v side rather than (stepdown) through the 12v side. Just haven’t yet :)

Based on your answer, am I to assume the mppts would continue working as long as the GX device had power, regardless of the state of the inverter?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ geomz commented ·

Hi @Geomz

Yes the mppt's need the GX device and bms, otherwise they will stop working (as a safety precaution)

0 Likes 0 ·
geomz avatar image geomz Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel!

0 Likes 0 ·